Student Health Insurance Plan for GAs, GRAs, and GTAs


OVERVIEW

Florida Atlantic University’s 2023-2024 Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for full time Graduate Assistants, Graduate Teaching Assistants, and Graduate Research Assistants (GAs, GRAs, and GTAs) will be provided through United Healthcare Insurance Company and underwritten by Insurance for Students. The Graduate College will pay for 85% of the SHIP premium cost, the remaining 15% of the premium cost will be charged to the student's FAU account each semester.


ELIGIBILITY

Graduate assistants must meet the following requirements to remain eligible for health insurance at a reduced cost:

  • Maintain employment under one full time assistantship (0.50 FTE, 20 hours per week) or two half time assistantships (each must be at least 0.25 FTE, 10 hours per week);
  • Maintain full-time equivalent enrollment in the Fall and Spring semesters. If the student qualified for the insurance waiver under the tuition and insurance policy in the Spring semester, enrollment in the Summer semester is not required to be eligible for the insurance waiver for the Summer semester;
  • To receive the Graduate College's insurance waiver, the assistantship(s) must include a stipend and 100% tuition waiver that aligns with the Tuition Benefits Policy for Graduate Students.

After opting into the SHIP to be eligible for enrollment, the student must meet the above eligibility criteria. Students will not be enrolled into the health insurance plan before meeting the above criteria.


COST AND ENROLLMENT PROCESS

Domestic Graduate Assistants:

  • Domestic students on assistantship will pay the below reduced amounts:
    • Fall 2023 student SHIP portion:  $338.10  (coverage from 08/14/2023 through 12/31/2023);
    • Spring 2024 only student SHIP portion (only for students graduating in the Spring semester): $314.10 (coverage from 01/01/2024 through 05/09/2024);
    • Students interested in Summer 2024 coverage only, the cost is $231.90 (coverage 05/10/2024 through 08/13/2024);
  • The Graduate College will post the insurance waiver to the student's FAU account two week after the add/drop date for all students opted into the SHIP;
  • The remaining portion of the premium cost must be paid by student the University’s tuition and fees deadline each semester. The Spring 2024 semester's last day for students receiving waivers to pay their balance is on March 18, 2024;
  • Domestic students should visit complete the Spring 2024 Health Insurance Opt-In Form only if the student wishes to opt-in to the health insurance plan.

International Graduate Assistants: 

  • International students on assistantship will pay the reduced amounts:
    • Fall 2023 student SHIP portion:  $105.75 (coverage from 8/14/2023 through 12/31/2023);
    • Spring 2024 student SHIP portion: $98.25 (coverage from 01/01/2024 through 05/09/2024);
    • Summer 2024 student SHIP portion: $72.60 (coverage 05/10/2024 through 08/13/2024);
  • In accordance with FAU Regulation 4.009, international students will be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). International students who wish to use an alternate insurance plan must submit a waiver form. If approved, please be aware that alternate insurance is not eligible for a 85% payment;
  • The Graduate College will post the insurance waiver to the student's FAU account the week after the add/drop date for all students opted into the SHIP;
  • The remaining portion of the premium cost must be paid by the University's tuition and fees payment deadline each semester.

SUMMARY OF BENEFITS AND COVERAGE

Eligible graduate assistants (GAs, GRAs, and GTAs) with domestic status: 

Eligible graduate assistants (GAs, GRAs, and GTAs) with international status: 


CONTACT

Question Type Contact
Insurance waiver qualification and posting to student's FAU account Phone: (561) 297-2428
gabenefits@lamovida-cafeconcierto.com
Insurance enrollment, coverage, and website or technical support Phone: (561) 300-5677
http://www.insuranceforstudents.com/#contact-us-form